Cristiano Ronaldo has openly said that he anticipates being booed by the Irish crowd in Thursday when Portugal plays the Republic of Ireland in a world cup qualifier at Aviva stadium. The 40-year-old superstar feels that the reaction would relieve the other players in the Portuguese team during a decisive Group F match.
Ronaldo looked back upon the 1-0 victory last month, saying that he celebrated sarcastically after the late goal of Ruben Neves in front of an Irish defender Jake O Brien. Before the rematch, Ronaldo had vowed that he would be a good boy.
Portugal will become the first to win four games without a loss, and winning would ensure its direct admission to the 2026 world cup where Ronaldo will seek to represent the team in his sixth world cup. Ireland occupies third position in Group F with six points fell short of Portugal by one goal, and now they are required to score at least one point to not be thrown out of the play-offs.
Ronaldo said: “They will boo me at the stadium, but I have been accustomed to that. “I hope they do. Perhaps it will decongest other players. I only hope they will not boo too much.
Ronaldo, star of Al-Nassr in Saudi Arabia, recently reassured he will retire within two years having netted over 950 goals in his entire career in club and international football.
Regardless of the hostile reception, the five-time Ballon d’Or winner is still concentrated on being the leader of Portugal. Analysts believe that his experience may count when it matters the most during crucial matches, and the fans all over the world will be observing as the old man forward keeps defying the ageing factor as he takes his team to another World Cup.
